My WebLink
|
Help
|
About
|
Sign Out
Home
Browse
Search
2013-079 Ordinance
Document-Host
>
City North Olmsted
>
Legislation
>
2013
>
2013-079 Ordinance
Metadata
Thumbnails
Annotations
Entry Properties
Last modified
1/13/2014 3:50:59 PM
Creation date
12/26/2013 9:53:09 AM
Metadata
Fields
Template:
North Olmsted Legislation
Legislation Number
2013-079
Legislation Date
9/18/2013
Year
2013
There are no annotations on this page.
Document management portal powered by Laserfiche WebLink 9 © 1998-2015
Laserfiche.
All rights reserved.
/
52
PDF
Print
Pages to print
Enter page numbers and/or page ranges separated by commas. For example, 1,3,5-12.
After downloading, print the document using a PDF reader (e.g. Adobe Reader).
Show annotations
View images
View plain text
<br />• In 1796, The Connecticut Land Company sent surveyors, led by Moses Cleaveland, to <br />survey the land in the Western Reserve. The survey was completed in 1806. The land was <br />divided into Ranges which were then divided into Townships. Each township was intended <br />to be five miles square, with a total area of 25 square miles. <br />• Dover was Township 7 in Range 15 of the Western Reserve, located in the northwest <br />corner of Cuyahoga County, immediately north of Olmstead Township 6, also in Range 15. <br />Township 7 was five miles wide and extended approximately 5 miles north to the shores of <br />Lake Erie. It was bounded by Avon to the west and Rockport to the east. <br />• Dover Center Road was planned to run north and south through the center of the township. <br />• The original investors in Dover Township were Nehemiah Hubbard and Joshua Stow who <br />lived in Middletown, Connecticut. They received the deeds for their land in 1807. <br />• Hubbard and Stow had the land surveyed by Joseph Darrow and divided into square lots of <br />160 acres each, measuring one half mile on each side. The lots ran in rows from east to <br />west and north to south in a checkerboard pattern. They were numbered from 1 to 10 in <br />each row, commencing from the southwest corner of the township. <br />• It was discovered during the survey that the township was not five miles square and that the <br />lots running north and south along the west side of the township were only 146 acres each. <br />• From 1807 until 1810, Hubbard and Stow owned all of the township lots together. On May <br />12, 1810, Hubbard deeded 67.5 acres to Stow to equalize their land ownership in the <br />township. <br />• The first white person to settle in the township of Dover was Joseph Cahoon, who migrated <br />with his wife and seven children from Vergennes, Vermont, and on the moming of October <br />10, 1810, settled on land purchased through Datus Kelley, the agent for Hubbard & Stowe. <br />Joseph Cahoon built the first grist-mill west of the Cuyahoga River on what is now called <br />Cahoon's creek. The frame was raised September 10, 1813, the day of Perry's victory on <br />Lake Erie. Joseph and his son Joel quarried two mill-stones in the creek. They also erected <br />a saw-mill nearby and likewise a distillery, where they made peach brandy. Mr. Cahoon <br />engaged to some extent in peach culture. <br />• On October 10, 1810, Ashael Porter, wife Rebecca and their children, together with <br />Ashael's nephew, Leverett Johnson, then in his seventeenth year, came to Dover Township <br />from Massachusetts. Ashael Porter eventually became the first postmaster of the township. <br />• The civil township of Dover was formed November 4, 1811 and embraced a large tract of <br />land extending nearly 25 miles along Lake Erie. Adjacent townships were annexed into <br />Dover Township over a period of time, creating the larger pover Township by March 6, <br />1812. The first township election of trustees was held April 6, 1812. <br />• Almost immediately after his arrival in Dover, young Leverett Johnson began alone to clear <br />land on Lot 58, while continuing to live with his uncle, Ashael Porter. Two years later, in <br />1812, Johnson settled on Lot 13, which was diagonally adjacent to Lot 4. <br />• In 1814, Leverett Johnson married Abigail Cahoon and brought his new bride to the new <br />log-house he had erected on his farm on Lot 13. Leverett Johnson became a prominent
The URL can be used to link to this page
Your browser does not support the video tag.