My WebLink
|
Help
|
About
|
Sign Out
Home
Browse
Search
2013-079 Ordinance
Document-Host
>
City North Olmsted
>
Legislation
>
2013
>
2013-079 Ordinance
Metadata
Thumbnails
Annotations
Entry Properties
Last modified
1/13/2014 3:50:59 PM
Creation date
12/26/2013 9:53:09 AM
Metadata
Fields
Template:
North Olmsted Legislation
Legislation Number
2013-079
Legislation Date
9/18/2013
Year
2013
There are no annotations on this page.
Document management portal powered by Laserfiche WebLink 9 © 1998-2015
Laserfiche.
All rights reserved.
/
52
PDF
Print
Pages to print
Enter page numbers and/or page ranges separated by commas. For example, 1,3,5-12.
After downloading, print the document using a PDF reader (e.g. Adobe Reader).
Show annotations
View images
View plain text
member of the township. He was called upon to serve in several important positions. He <br />was Justice of the Peace from 1827 to 1833 and served five terms in the State legislature. <br />He died on the old homestead in 1856. <br />• In 1815, Nehemiah Porter, his wife, their two children, and bachelor brother Wells Porter, <br />located on Lot 45. After residing with Nehemiah two years, Wells Porter made a settlement <br />on Lot 15, diagonally adjacent to Lot 4. He later moved to Cleveland where he died in <br />1877. <br />• In 1816, another Porter brother, Ebenezer, settled in Dover. Ebenezer and Nehemiah Porter <br />resided in the township until they died. The Porter brothers were all sons of Joseph Porter. <br />• On December 26, 1816, Joshua Stow deeded land to Nehemiah Hubbard in order to split up <br />their land holdings so that each lot in the township had only one owner. On May 12, 1825, <br />the State of Connecticut also deeded the same lots to Hubbard. <br />• In 1826 the first sales of land to settlers began. <br />• Joseph Porter, father of the Porter brothers above, migrated to Dover in 1826 with four of <br />his children, Jemima, John, Leonard and Rebecca. They travelled the Erie Canal to <br />Buffalo, thence by lake to Cleveland, and the rest of the way by stage. Mr. Porter settled on <br />Lot 14, directly north of Lot 4. He died there in 1844 and was buried in Evergreen <br />Cemetely. <br />• In 1832, Nehemiah Hubbard sold the half <br />mile square, 160 acre Lot 4 to Ebenezer <br />Porter. <br />• In 1845, Ebenezer Porter sold 20 acres in <br />the northwest quadrant of Lot 4 to his <br />brother John. In 1846, Ebenezer Porter <br />sold the remaining 140 acres of Lot 4 to <br />Richard H. Knight and Sidney L. Beebe <br />together. On January 4, 1850, Richard <br />Knight and Sidney Beebe divided the 140 <br />acres of land between themselves. Knight <br />retained 71.5 acres of the easterly half of <br />Lot 4. Beebe retained 68.5 acres of the <br />westerly half of Lot 4. <br />After the Lot 4 split of 1850, Richard <br />Knight began the design and construction <br />of his new stone house. He built his house on Lot 4 of the township, sometime between <br />1850 and 1860, using stone from the nearby stone quarry located on Lot 4. <br />• R. H. Knight was a trustee of Dover Township in 1856 and 1857. S. L. Beebe was a trustee <br />of Dover Township in 1860. <br />• R. H. Knight sold his house to S. H. Shaw sometime after 1873. In 1880 William Biddulph <br />purchased the Knight house.
The URL can be used to link to this page
Your browser does not support the video tag.